Welcome to UConn's School of Public Policy!

Follow our School on social (@UConnSPP) and use #UConnSPPbound to tell your network you are joining the SPP!


Jonathan XIV with stack of admissions acceptance packets.

This site contains important information for you as you begin your academic career with us.

Check here often as new items may be added prior to the start of the semester and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need assistance.

SPP Merchandise Now Available for Purchase

Facebook logo
Instagram logo
LinkedIn logo
Twitter logo

Information for New Students

UConn Undergraduates

SPP Fast-Track

  • Take graduate level Public Policy coursework at no additional cost to your undergraduate tuition while an undergraduate
    • Save time and money!


  • Apply your SPP grad credits towards a masters degree in:
    • Public Administration (MPA)
    • Public Policy (MPP)
    • Survey Research (MASR)


  • MPA and MPP: Complete up to one year of a two year degree
    • Coursework offered in Hartford and Storrs


  • MASR: Complete up to 12 credits towards a 30 credit degree
    • Coursework offered entirely online

Graduate Students

Masters Programs

  • Our students and alums combine degree skillsets and personal interests to policies and programs that make a difference


  • Public Administration (MPA): a focus on leadership, management and advancing the common good through the implementation of policies and programs


  • Public Policy (MPP): a focus on the analytic and quantitative skills necessary to design, analyze and evaluate the success of policies and programs


  • Survey Research (MASR): a focus on the innovative skillsets and instruments utilized to create and manage programmatic and policy data for analysis

After Accepting the Offer of Admission

    Submit Official Transcripts

    Send all official transcripts* to The Graduate School if you have not done so already. You can request to have them sent electronically to gradadmissions@uconn.edu (non-international transcripts only) or sent via mail to the following address:

    University of Connecticut
    The Graduate School
    438 Whitney Road Extension, Unit 1152
    Storrs, CT 06269-1152

    Students with international transcripts should review The Graduate School's additional requirements for international students.

    *Note: Students who earned their undergraduate degree at UConn do NOT need to send official transcripts. The Graduate School can verify degrees earned at UConn via the Student Admin system.

    Failure to send all official transcripts to the Graduate School will delay your matriculation as a student. 

      Complete Technology Training, Activate NetID, and Setup UConn Email

      ITS offers Technology Training which will walk you through available technology tools and how to activate them. The Student Technology Training is a tutorial to familiarize you with the important technology-related services that you will use frequently as a UConn student. The tutorial is divided into three parts: One – New student to-dos; Two – Before Orientation/Registration; and Three – Before Classes Begin.

      Your UConn NetID and Activation Code were emailed to you at the time of admission. You can also visit netid.uconn.edu to find your NetID. Once you activate your NetID and set the password, you will be able to log in to the Student Administration System. If you need assistance with your NetID, please contact the ITS Help Center at (860) 486-4357 or by email at techsupport@uconn.edu.

      University email is sent to your official UConn email address. The University, faculty and staff will use your UConn email as the primary email to communicate with you. Be sure to check the account frequently.

        After Being Matriculated (once official transcript is received)

          Complete Mandatory Training and Financial Agreement

          Mandatory Training (one-time)
          Graduate students must complete a one-time online interpersonal violence prevention training. A hold is placed on a student’s registration to ensure that you meet this requirement. The University of Connecticut is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for all of our students, staff, and faculty. As part of that commitment, the University now requires that all graduate students complete an online interpersonal violence prevention program titled U Got This 2!, this video-based program provides critical information about Consent, Bystander Intervention, Sexual Assault, Dating and Domestic Violence, Stalking, and more. U Got This 2! will help you better understand how vitally important these issues are to creating a safe environment and to our community expectations, and what you can do to help make your campus safer for everyone.

          U Got This 2! is a 40 minute training.  Upon completion, it will take 2-3 days for the hold to lift and then you can enroll in classes.  If you have any questions, call The Graduate School at (860) 486-3617 or email gradschool@uconn.edu.

          Student Financial (SF) Responsibility Agreement (complete every semester)

          This agreement outlines your financial obligations at the University and must be completed every semester. You will receive a notification to your UConn email when the SF Responsibility Agreement has been assigned to you for completion.

          Register for Classes

          Students should enroll in classes once they have been matriculated by the Graduate School and completed the required training. See the new student email sent to you from Catherine Guarino for a list of which courses to enroll in. We ask that all new students register as soon as possible and do not wait to enroll.

          Complete Student Health History Form (in-person students only)

          Students enrolled in the MPA (including Fellows), MPP, PFM, and LPM (in-person version) programs* must complete your mandatory Student Health History Form through your Student Health Portal, and submit the form and any attachments to the Student Health Portal under “Document Upload”. The Student Health History Form must be submitted by July 1 for students starting in the fall semester and by January 1 for students starting in the spring semester.

          The University of Connecticut requires all incoming students, regardless of age, to complete a Tuberculosis Risk Questionnaire, found within your Student Health History Form on your Student Health Portal. For more information regarding your immunization requirements please visit Student Health and Wellness.  Please email studenthealth@uconn.edu with  any additional questions.

          *This form is not required for students in the nonprofit management or survey research programs since they are entirely online programs.


          Purchase Parking Permit and Submit One Card Photo (if applicable)

          *Updated* On-campus Parking and Shuttle Information
          Students parking at the Hartford campus need to view the information here for details on how to purchase your parking permit.

          The Parking Services website, park.uconn.edu, provides parking information for UConn Storrs, Avery Point, Hartford (campus map), Stamford, and Waterbury campuses. Learn about the different types of permits available, purchase your permit, and check out the campus parking maps. UConn Hartford campus students park in either the CT Convention Center Garage in Section E (map) or the CT Science Center Garage.

          Please note: there is free parking on most streets near the Hartford campus Monday through Friday after 6:00pm and on weekends. See kiosks at parking spaces for free parking availability.

          A weeknight shuttle provides continuous-loop service between Front Street, Constitution Plaza, the CT Science Center and both Level 2 and Section E of the CT Convention Center Garage between the hours of 6pm and 10pm, Monday through Thursday. Please see the route map posted on the Parking Services website for more specific details.

          Students who are not purchasing a permit will continue to be able to validate their parking ticket for a reduced rate of $6 per day (have your UConn ID for validation)

          Public Transportation
          CTtransit's free circulator bus, the dash bus, runs between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. every weekday throughout downtown Hartford with stops at the campus and parking garages.

          Once registered in the UPass program, all full-time UConn Hartford students are eligible to ride any CT public transit route for free, including the CT Fastrak system. CT public transit offers local services in Hartford, Waterbury, Stamford, and many more locations including our direct express route between Hartford and Storrs. Click here to learn more!

          CTfastrak: Routes and Schedules
          CTtransit: Schedules


          UConn One Card
          The Husky One Card is your official UConn ID, as well as your way to access a variety of services across the university, including the UConn Libraries and Husky Bucks. UConn IDs (Husky One Card) will be available for pickup at the campus you attend. Please contact the Hartford campus Office of Student Services (OSS) to verify if your card is ready for pickup. The OSS office is located in HTB 106, in the Atrium of the Hartford Times Building (HTB).

          All incoming students are encouraged to take advantage of the online photo submission option.  Your photo must be submitted and accepted based on the Online Submission Instructions. Login to your Husky One Card account to submit your photo online.

          Accept or Waive Student Health Insurance

          All full-time students are required to maintain health coverage. Full-time students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the University-sponsored plan. If you wish to decline the university plan because you have comparable coverage already, you must waive it via the Health Insurance Waiver in Student Admin.

          Learn more about the University-sponsored plan and the waiver process.

          If you are a graduate assistant, you will have the option to enroll in the Connecticut Partnership Plan. Enrollment will be available after the start date of your appointment (noted in your graduate assistantship offer letter) and you will have 31 days from that date to enroll or waive coverage.

          Find more information about the Connecticut Partnership Plan.


          Pay Fee Bill

          Fee bills for graduate students are due the Friday before classes begin.

          Students will receive an email notification from the Bursar’s Office once tuition and fees have been posted to their account. Graduate student fees bills are generated in late July/early August for the Fall semester and in December for the Spring semester. Your bill must be paid by the Friday before the first day of the semester. You can view your fee bill through your Student Center in Student Admin. Payment options, as well as deadlines, student fee information, and the late fee policy, can be found at the Office of the Bursar website. Students who are receiving financial aid should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid Services with any questions about their aid package.

          Please note:

          • MPA, MPP, and Public Financial Management students follow a tiered pay structure. Students pay an adjusted General University Fee because the School of Public Policy is based at the UConn Hartford campus. Students also do not pay the Student Health & Wellness Fee or the Student Rec Center Fee.
          • All other SPP students pay an all-inclusive, per credit fee.

          Complete Survey for Alumni Mentor Network (Masters students only)

          The School of Public Policy is pleased to offer alumni and students the opportunity to learn from each other through its Alumni Mentoring Network. With a national network of more than 1,400 alumni, SPP alumni represent a wealth of professional experience across the public, nonprofit, and private sectors. All new MPA, MPA Fellows, MPP, and SRDA students will be matched with an alumni mentor. Please check your UConn email during the summer for an email from SPP Alumni Relations Coordinator Candace Fitzpatrick inviting you to participate in the program and complete a survey to help us match you with a mentor with expertise in areas of interest to you.

          If you have any questions about the Alumni Mentoring Network or the survey, please email Candace Fitzpatrick at candace.fitzpatrick@uconn.edu.

          Complete Incoming Student Survey (Masters students only)

          A link to complete this survey will be sent to your UConn email during the first week of fall semester.

          New Student Orientation

            See Program Specific Information

            MPA, MPP, and MPA Fellows (executive track)
            Our New Student Orientation will be held virtually on Thursday, January 11. Register here to attend.

            M.A. SRDA and Nonprofit Management Students
            UConn Online offers resources for all online students. School of Public Policy specific information will be available on HuskyCT in the School's "Information for Current SPP Students" organization.

            All Students
            All new graduate students are encouraged to complete The Graduate School's online orientation experience, as it will provide important information about academic and everyday life at UConn, and is the first step to ensuring your success and getting you connected to our community. The orientation materials include videos and modules designed to help you navigate the various opportunities at UConn in order to gain valuable skills and experiences to enhance your graduate education.

            All newly-matriculated graduate students will receive an email notification when access to the Graduate Student Orientation materials in HuskyCT has been granted. The materials are contained within "The Graduate School Orientation" organization within HuskyCT.

            Resources for Online Students

            UConn Online is the gateway for all online undergraduate and graduate courses, post baccalaureate certificates, graduate certificates, and graduate programs at the University of Connecticut.

            UConn Online courses provide outstanding opportunities for students to connect worldwide with faculty and peers in engaging and flexible online learning environments. Our courses provide the same level of rigor, quality, and excellence found on the UConn campuses with the added convenience and flexibility of a web-based environment.

            Additional Tasks and Information

              Review HuskyCT and Academic Calendar

              HuskyCT (UConn's name for Blackboard)
              On the first day of classes you can find your course(s) for the semester under "Courses" in HuskyCT.  Online courses are run through HuskyCT and in-person courses may also utilize the site. Courses will open the first day of the semester. Instructors may post course materials, online assignments, discussion forums, tests and grades.

              We also maintain an SPP student services and advising area on HuskyCT titled "Information for Current SPP Students". This page is listed under 'organizations' and is available 24/7 for active students. It is meant to be your first place for administrative questions regarding your academic career with us.


              Academic Calendar
              The Registrar's office publishes the University's Academic Calendar which lists important semester dates, including the first day of classes.

              Review Hartford Campus Resources

              Students should familiarize themselves with the complete list of resources available for Hartford campus students. Two resources are explained in detail below:

              Center for Students with Disabilities
              If you are a student with a disability and require accommodations, please register with the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) prior to the start of the semester. Complete information regarding the accommodations, services and programs coordinated through the Center can be found on their website.

              Students can register with CSD online via MyAccess or from the CSD homepage. Paper-based Student Information Forms are available to download from the CSD website. With questions, contact CSD in Hartford at Hartford.DisabilityServices@UConn.edu.


              Student Health and Wellness Services
              UConn’s Student Health and Wellness Services (SHaWS) has a variety of services available to the UConn community. They also have a Mental Health specific website, which includes virtual workshops. 

              Hartford Point of Contact:
              Naa Opoku-Gyamfi, LPC – Clinical Case Manager

              Resources Specifically at the Hartford Campus:

                • Free and Confidential Appointments
                • Individual Assessments
                • Educational Materials
                • Crisis Intervention
                • Brief and Therapeutic Support
                • Wellness Workshops
                • Case Management
                • Outreach
                • Telehealth Capability
                • Referrals to Community Providers and Services

              Obtain Course Materials

              UConn Bookstore
              Students can use the UConn Bookstore's "Find Course Materials" site to view and purchase textbooks and other course materials. Be sure to select the correct section of your course. Professors may also choose to upload course materials to their HuskyCT course site. The Bookstore for the Hartford campus is located on Front Street across from the Hartford Times Building. Course materials may also be available from third party vendors.

              Review Courses, Programs, Policies, and Procedures

              By accepting admission, you assume responsibility for knowing and complying with the University regulations and procedures. The Graduate School Catalog contains information about regulations and procedures, as well as programs and course descriptions. Similarly the Undergraduate Catalog describes advance undergraduate courses that sometimes can be applied toward a graduate degree.

              In addition, SPP maintains a more robust list of course descriptions on our website.

              The Graduate School’s website is also an essential resource for information for current students. Please familiarize yourself with their website.


              Information for MPA Fellows

              All Fellows are featured in the Meet Our Current MPA Fellows directory. Please submit the Fellows profile form to be featured. With questions, contact Wade Gibbs, Administrative Coordinator, at wade.gibbs@uconn.edu.

              Information for Graduate Assistants

              If you have been offered a Graduate Assistantship (GA) within the School of Public Policy, please review the following information.

              • Fall 2023 GA positions will begin August 23, 2023. UConn's Graduate School website has more information about Graduate Assistantships.
              • Graduate Assistants will receive their official offer letter in the near future by email from Wade Gibbs along with requests for other necessary payroll paperwork, such as the I-9 form. Watch your email for the offer letter, as well as more information about an SPP GA Orientation near the end of the summer.
              • The offer letter will include information about the opportunity as a GA to obtain health benefits through the “Connecticut Partnership Plan.”  If you would like to get a head start on reviewing options and learn more, please visit UConn HR's Graduate Assistant Health Insurance webpage.
              • We would like to include a profile of our Graduate Assistants on our website's "People" directoryPlease complete the SPP Graduate Assistantship Profile form by June 20, 2023.

              Wade GibbsIf you have any questions about your Graduate Assistantship, please feel free to contact Wade Gibbs, Administrative Coordinator, at wade.gibbs@uconn.edu.  Congratulations!

              Information for International Students

              Visit the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) website for new student information and next steps. In addition, the ISSS Hartford office serves the advising needs of international students and scholars on F and J visas at the UConn Hartford campus, School of Social Work and Graduate Business Learning Center.

              ISSS also hosts a series of new student webinars over the summer to help you prepare for the fall semester.

              International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) has orientation programs for new international students. Please visit their Orientation website for more information and to register. Contact international@uconn.edu with any questions.

              Housing Information

              UConn Hartford does not provide on-campus housing although there are many apartments for rent in the immediate area. Find off-campus housing and roommates near campus. Select “Housing” then “Hartford Campus” on top of page.

              Information for Non-Degree Students

                Next Steps

                Visit Non-degree and Visiting Student Services for registration and next step information for non-degree study at UConn. All School of Public Policy (SPP) non-degree students will need a permission number in order to register for Public Policy (PP) coursework. Please submit our permission number request form.

                Questions or need assistance? Contact Director of Student and Academic Affairs Catherine Guarino at catherine.guarino@uconn.edu.

                Questions or Need Assistance?

                Catherine GuarinoCatherine Guarino, Director of Student and Academic Affairs, directs student services, enrollment, and admissions for the School of Public Policy and is a great resource. She is your primary point of contact as new SPP students as students do not typically begin working with their faculty advisors until the semester begins. Catherine is also available for phone, virtual, or in-person meetings. Contact her at catherine.guarino@uconn.edu.