MPP Student Focuses On Grant Management for IPP

James Cokorinos, MPP '23Former SPP Fast-Track student, James Cokorinos joined the accelerated masters program in order to get his feet wet in the field. He says, “I really enjoyed the rigor of the work and found the courses super engaging.” The ability to complete his Master of Public Policy (MPP) in a year was also seen as a benefit.

During his undergraduate career James worked in the Washington, D.C. office of Representative Jim Hines. He notes,

The idea of working in government had previously crossed my mind, but my time in that office really crystalized my interest and aspirations for a career in public service at the federal level. I’m really grateful to be surrounded by people with that same love for public service at the School of Public Policy (SPP).

His decision to pursue the MPP was rooted in the impact of SPP faculty, coursework and classmates. The Internship and Professional Practice (IPP) program also made a significant impact on his decision. He adds, “The opportunity to gain professional experience while earning my degree is awesome, and the financial aid tied to it is the reason I am able to attend grad school.” For the 2022-2023 academic year he pursued his IPP internship with the Town of Windsor Locks, Connecticut.

As the Grants Coordinator Intern James is responsible for gathering and organizing grant information to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations. He also works to maintain funding opportunities. His first day was one of his favorite SPP memories. James explains, “The mental image of walking into town hall that first day still sticks with me, and I’m so grateful for all SPP did to get me there and make sure I was ready for that opportunity.” The tools from UConn and SPP prepared him to navigate a new living situation, course load and professional opportunity during his masters year.

After graduation James hopes to work for the federal government. Though he enjoyed his time in Connecticut, he plans to move to Washington, D.C. for work. He emphasizes, “I don’t know how I’m going to do without the Yard Goats, though.” The Yard Goats are Hartford’s very own Minor League Baseball Team and a favorite pastime of the SPP Network. We hope to see our favorite Huskies at Dunkin Donuts Park this summer for a ballgame, and look forward to supporting the Yard Goats, James and the SPP Class of 2023 in the months and years to come!

Posted by Kish, Lian in MPP