Teaching Tuesday with Lydia Wileden

Welcome to our first edition of #TeachingTuesday for the 2024-2025 academic year. This week we catch up with School of Public Policy (SPP) Professor Lydia Wileden!

Lydia Wileden

Question 1: Why did you decide to become a professor?

Even while I was getting my PhD, I was never sure becoming a professor was my end goal. I have a background in local and federal government and long felt there was a gap between research and policy making. I wanted to address that gap by generating information through research that reflects how people experience their daily lives and make decisions that influence policy. Right now, this opportunity with the Institute for Municipal and Regional Policy (IMRP) and the School of Public Policy at UConn feels like the best way to do that!

Question 2: What are your teaching interests?

I am passionate about teaching students to be discerning consumers and thoughtful producers of evidence. In an era of “fake news” and “alternative facts,” evidence and data have become essential but unwieldy tools of modern life. My goal in the classroom is to train students to understand how evidence is produced, the decisions that underly data, and how and when to probe for further information. I try to do bring this approach into my classroom whether I’m teaching quantitative methods, survey research, intro to public policy, or a course on neighborhoods and housing.

Question 3: Why did you decide to come to UConn?

I was born and raised in New England (Deerfield, MA). Since college, I’ve drifted further and further west. When an opportunity to return to the east coast presented itself, especially one where I could bring together my passion for research and policy impact, I leapt at it!

Question 4: If you weren’t a professor what would you be instead and why?

The honest answer is doing policy analysis or evaluation work for the federal government or a think tank. The more fun answer is running a small coffee shop/family style restaurant called Lady Alruna’s (named for my dog, happy to tell you about the menu) and possibly running for local office.

Question 5: What is your favorite thing about Hartford?

I just got here, so I am still discovering the city. BUT, having grown up in the region and being a city-lover at heart, I’ve been so impressed by how Hartford has changed from when I was a kid. I love learning about local gems and the vibrant neighborhoods!

Question 6: If you could travel to any location right now where would you like to go and why?

I went to Bornholm Island in Denmark in February. It was beautiful, but everything was closed because it was the off season. I’d love to go back and get the full experience. I’m also eager to bring my family to Quechee Gorge (VT), Bethel (ME), and North Conway (NH), places I have fond fall memories of as a kid that I think will really sell them on life in New England!