Teaching Tuesday with Renzo de la Riva Agüero

Welcome to our second edition of #TeachingTuesday for the 2022-2023 academic year. This week we catch up with School of Public Policy (SPP) Professor Renzo de la Riva Agüero!

Renzo de la Riva Agüero
Professor Renzo de la Riva Agüero

Question 1: Why did you decide to become a professor?

To help improve our world more directly and independently. One part was my motivation to contribute to our understanding of why public services tend to fail (or work) in the Global South, for academics and practitioners. I hope that my research can also provide some ideas on what we could do to improve service provision in this part of the world. The other part is that I also love interacting with students. I think teaching is where you can have the most impact for social change –– you guide people to shape their own critical view of the world and develop the skills to change it for the better. I had the fortune of having outstanding professors throughout my life, leading me to realize how much influence you can have in this role if you do it from the heart.

Question 2: What are your teaching interests?

I love teaching organizational theory and behavior, project management, and qualitative methods. In the near future, I would also love to teach comparative public management with a focus on the Global South and the political economy of development.

Question 3: Why did you decide to come to UConn?

I was more than delighted when I received an offer from the SPP at UConn, especially knowing its solid commitment to reinforcing its public management work. The kindness, quality, and openness to my work of the faculty, staff, and students impressed me tons. Everyone here is accomplished and generous in so many ways that it was easy for me to see it as an ideal work environment. It was also a family decision –– the area has many great opportunities for my wife and son.

Question 4: If you weren’t a professor what would you be instead and why?

That’s a tricky question. I have had many professional lives in the past, from rural development, and public sector policy reform, to international development, government consulting for a private firm, and politics. While I also loved all these exciting career paths, I think I would prefer to be a farmer, growing crops, taking care of all sorts of animals, and composting waste. I love living in rural areas where you are closer to nature and can have a serene pace of life. It grounds me to hear the sound of the wind gently touching the trees and leaves and the smell of humid soil and cow manure (don’t laugh!). Another option would be a dog trainer, helping heal abandoned or abused ones. Last but not least, a soccer player.

Question 5: What is your favorite thing about Hartford?

We just moved here about two months ago, but I can say I like that it is an active urban center that at the same time is surrounded by lots of trees, rivers, and parks. You can also drive to different places and get there reasonably quickly. I also love the diversity of the people living here.

Question 6: If you could travel to any location right now where would you like to go and why?

First, to south Florida to visit my parents, sister, and nephew. Then, I would go to Sicuani in rural Cusco, Peru, to connect with my roots. Hiking and camping in the Peruvian Amazon for days would be next