MPA Alum Studies in Iceland to Increase Her Global Impact

Sylvie Boucher at a glacier in Vatnajökull National Park
Sylvie Boucher, MPA ’22

UConn School of Public Policy (SPP) alum Sylvie Boucher is current in Iceland pursuing a Master of Environment and Natural Resources at the University of Iceland. Learn more about what Sylvie has been up to since her Master of Public Administration (MPA) graduation in her own words below!

Since taking the Sustainable Cities course in Amsterdam in summer 2018, I fell in love with traveling and wanted to see the world. In my senior year of my undergrad at UConn, I was supposed to have a semester study abroad experience in Copenhagen, however, it would have happened in Fall 2020, therefore it was canceled. After completing the remainder of my senior year at UConn and a majority of my Master’s program online, my desire to travel grew even more.

My background is in Environmental Studies and I have always been interested in a policy-orientated career addressing urgent environmental, climate, and natural resource issues on a broad scale. This led me to get a Master’s of Public Administration (MPA) degree from UConn’s School of Public Policy (SPP). My experience with SPP was integral to giving me the preliminary knowledge and skills surrounding a career in the public sector. I especially treasured my Internship and Professional Practice (IPP) with Connecticut Land Conservation Council (CLCC).

My IPP with CLCC was an incredible experience that helped me gain valuable skills about project planning, communication, programming, coordination, and collaboration related to community, advocacy, and policy. I also learned that I was interested in expanding those skills to enhance my abilities and knowledge to become an adept leader with the skills to navigate the best approach to plan, manage, and implement the course of actions necessary to promote sustainable and viable natural resources for all communities and places. Therefore, I applied to receive a second Master’s degree in the Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) at the University of Iceland.

An experience at the University of Iceland specifically is appealing to me because I believe immersion in a different culture is instrumental to broaden my ability to address environmental management from a global and interdisciplinary perspective. I plan to combine my SPP skillset in this program and strive to seek knowledge and an understanding of the necessary environmental stewardship skills needed to use policy to create and manage a lasting impact for the environment, communities and beyond. I am confident my time at SPP will help me thrive in the ENR program.