The Department of Public Policy (DPP) at the University of Connecticut (UConn) is looking for a full-time Outreach Coordinator to coordinate recruitment efforts and assist with related marketing initiatives for the Department’s in-person and online professional graduate and undergraduate academic programs. This position is responsible for communicating with prospective students on a daily basis, generating and following up on leads, and maintaining prospect information in an admission database tracking system. The Outreach Coordinator proactively identifies prospective students and works with them throughout all stages of the recruitment process from inquiry to application submission. In addition, the Outreach Coordinator assists with related marketing and communication campaigns. The position will be based at the Hartford Campus but will require travel to Storrs and other campuses, as well as other locations in-state and out-of-state. Evening and weekend hours will also be required in support of program activities and events.
The Department of Public Policy is home to a NASPAA-accredited Master of Public Administration (MPA), a Master of Public Policy (MPP), an online Graduate Program in Survey Research, an MPA Fellows program (an executive MPA cohort), an undergraduate Fast-Track (4+1) program and Public Policy minor, and four graduate certificates in nonprofit management, public financial management, survey research, and leadership and public management.
The Department of Public Policy is located on the new state-of-the-art campus in Hartford, Connecticut’s capital city. The University of Connecticut is a premier research institution, designated as a Research University/Very High research activity by the Carnegie Foundation. UConn is ranked 22nd by U.S. News & World Report among national public universities in the United States.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Admissions and Recruitment
- Develops and implements a recruitment plan and helps the Department reach its annual recruitment goals for each of its programs.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with prospective students and leads generating entities through calls, emails, meetings, and traditional mail as necessary.
- Enters lead information into Slate (or any other system as decided by Department leadership) and maintains inquiry database.
- Initiates and maintains regular communication with prospective students to provide a high level of customer service, as the first point of contact, and counsels prospective students throughout the application process.
- Organizes program visits and leads on-campus and off-campus information sessions for prospective students.
- Plans, recruits attendees to and delivers virtual and in-person admission information sessions and on-campus and off-campus events to promote the Department’s programs.
- Seeks to recruit students through scheduled visits to internal and external campuses, graduate fairs, and conferences.
- Works independently, but cooperates with a high-functioning team to assist in the development of recruitment and marketing strategies to attract and maintain a talented and diverse student body.
Marketing and Communication
- Coordinates the digital marketing strategy on social media and other outlets.
- Develops print, digital, and email campaigns, and web content in conjunction with team members.
- Assists with marketing and publicity efforts such as updating the program website and creating print and digital marketing materials.
- Writes Department news stories and compiles the quarterly Department electronic newsletter.
- Communicates with internal and external faculty, staff, and administration to foster positive and successful working relationships for the Department.
- Maintains and updates the Department’s alumni database and connects prospective students with alumni.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs various other duties as needed, related to general admission activities and other Department of Public Policy needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Two to three years of experience in admissions as well as in marketing or graphic design; or in a related field.
- Demonstrated excellent creative graphics and written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated excellent ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, and administrators as well as external agencies/groups and the public.
- Demonstrated excellent recruiting skills.
- Demonstrated experience taking initiative and exercising sound judgment when making decisions and meeting deadlines.
- Proven experience working well as part of a team.
- Willingness and ability to work evening and weekend hours on occasion in support of the department and/or program activities.
- Willingness and ability to travel in-state and out-of-state on occasion in support of the department and/or program activities.
- Master’s degree in public administration, public policy, higher education administration, communication, marketing, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience working in a higher education environment providing outreach to prospective students applying to programs.
- Demonstrated experience using Slate, or another student recruitment/application CRM system.
- Demonstrated experience using digital marketing including social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn).
- Demonstrated experience with WordPress or a similar platform for updating websites.
- Demonstrated experience using PeopleSoft or another student administration system.
- Demonstrated experience using virtual meeting platforms such as Microsoft Teams, WebEx, or Zoom.
- Ability to engage, connect, and work with diverse student, administrative, and faculty populations and provide a commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in an educational setting.
This is a full-time, 12-month position based in Hartford, CT. The University offers a competitive salary, and outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/employee-benefits-overview/.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495518 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on September 10, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.